INFORMATION FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
Education in Dance and Somatics
Here is a set of useful information that will help you get more familiar with Joensuu and the area. Most of the links to websites are attached, just click at the name.
I. GENERAL INFO take a first look around...
- Joensuu English Speakers open group
There are several options for finding accommodation. Mind that around 25% of Joensuu inhabitants are students, so the rents are quite high and places limited. It’s good to look and apply for housing in advance.- Joensuun Elli is a student housing company which provides students with flats ranging from simple shared flats to single-room studios. Apply online.
- some houses are rented and shared by ISLO students year by year - this way landlords and landladies are more willing to sign a contract with new people - ask for contact to former students who stayed in those.
- ISLO can offer an accommodation in a shared room with 350€/month. Available only for a single module participants. Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
To work in Finland as a foreign employee, you will need a Finnish ID number and a taxation card. Easiest way to get them is to visit the tax office - Metla-Talo (although this might depend on your employer).
Address: Yliopistokatu 6B, 2nd floor
INFO for foreign students regarding taxation. Annual earnings up to 10.000€ is tax free.
- LUOTSI is a unique place available only for inhabitants in Joensuu, no restriction as for age or nationality,. If you are a student you can come earliest three months before your graduation and get a personal helper/job agent.
fb group: https://www.facebook.com/luotsijoensuu
Examples of part-time jobs done by the students before:
- DASTIA cleaning
contact person: email@example.com
- live modeling
TIP! Visit the Pekkala Art School office personally and ask if they are looking for new models (one of the teachers name is Timo Heikura). The course is split into two semesters and there are several models rotating during each semester.
address: Pekkalankatu 7
- berry picking
because at some point you will need one. The wonderful thing about Finland is that you can cycle easily all year round. Sometimes weather is quite demanding, but even by heavy snow falls the cycling routes are cleared out quickly.
- sometimes they are cleaning garages from old bikes, many of them are in good conditions - ask around or check your local garage! Otherwise, there are many announcements of bikes for sale appearing daily on fb group.
- bike service
address: Kauppakatu 33
- BUS: Matkahuolto
*50% discount in local busses --> this requires Matkahuolto student certificate (ask for it at ISLO office), passport photo and identification which you can get from the service point (address: Lylykoskentie 11, opening hours Mon - Fri 8am-4pm). The cost is 10€.
See the conditions for student discount:
- TRAIN: VR
*for a discount you need to show a temporary certificate of student status (valid 3 months) and you´ll get it from ISLO office.
See the conditions for student discount:
TIP! If you know that you will be travelling often on long-distance trains, get yourself a multi-ticket.
Koli National Park: https://www.facebook.com/groups/319605108151359/
Joensuu - Helsinki: https://www.facebook.com/groups/229976110445501/
- YES, bless Scandinavia for ‘Everyman’s rights!’
- There are many parks, forests, natural reserves inside and around Joensuu area which are wonderful for walks/cycling/picnicing. Check out the islands of Kukkosensaari (Kuhasalo) and Utransaari (Utra).
- If you are planning a longer trip, read about public cottages in Finland. Here is a map of wilderness shelters in Finland. Only in Joensuu, there are free open sheltered fire places and a rentable cottage at Utra island. Useful info in English.
- It is possible to see the northern lights, too! http://www.aurora-service.eu/aurora-forecast/
- winter time skiing routes in Joensuu for cross-country skiing
VII. SECOND HAND SHOPS / FLEA MARKETS
- SPR Kontti
address: Voimatie 10
address: Teollisuuskatu 4
TIP! here you can get your own stand and sell second-hand stuff
- fb group: Joensuun ilmaiset roskat ja aarteet (Free trash and treasures of Joensuu)
Osta ja myy roska Joensuussa (Buy and sell crap in Joensuu)
Joensuun alueen kirpputori (flea market)
- you will find more second-hands downtown, have a good walk around.
The city offers a variety of cafes and restaurants together with several chains of fast food. Here are some choices:
- Mokkamaa = best coffee / tea / chocolate shop & a cosy café at the back
address: Kauppakatu 25
- Houkutus café / lunch
address: Torikatu 24
- Café Kauppaneuvos
address: Koskikatu 1
- Mount Ganesh Restaurant = Nepalese food
address: Kauppakatu 23
- University of Eastern Finland Campus canteen. There is no discount for ISLO students. You can get a lunch/dinner for ~7€. There are always options for all types of food allergies. address: Yliopistokatu 2
IX. ART, CULTURE, SHOPS
- Handcrafts and culture quarter Taitokortteli (address: Koskikatu 1)
- Carelicum is a culture, museum, and tourist centre, located nearby the market place.(address Koskikatu 5)
- Vaara Kirjastot / Joensuu Regional Library
Apart from being a place full of books, they also organize some cultural events - e.g. host a dance project, film festival, language cafe... There is one more big library 3 min. walk away, which belongs to the University of Eastern Finland (Joensuu Campus Library, Carelia, Yliopistokatu 4). You can make a card for yourself and borrow materials from both.
- Ahjo Art Center - free of charge! TIP! there is a possibility to rent a studio there for a very low price if you are a member of the dance association... or know someone who is (Lindon) and who can rent it for you.
- ONNI Art Museum / Joensuun Taidemuseo ONNI TIP! You can visit the museum for free on the first Saturday of each month.
- Siihtala Kulttuuritehdas / Siihtala Culture Factory
fb group: https://www.facebook.com/Siihtala/
- Botania botanical garden and cultural place
- Eco Teekki is an organic food store which you will find in both shopping malls - Iso Myy and Prisma. Ask for a stamp card (CLUBIKORTTI) if you plan bigger shopping - for every shopping over 20€ you get one stamp, having five stamps you get -5€ by your next shopping :)
- S-Market TIP! All products marked with -% sticker (that are close to expiry date) go on -60% during the last opening hour. Usually 9-10pm.
X. ENTERTAINMENT, THRILL AND CHILL
- Kansalaisopisto / Joensuu City College offers a variety of courses that you can apply for online. You might be lucky to find a free course of Finnish language (4 x class, introductory).
TIP! You can also offer your own course proposal, yet mind that the schedule is set well in advance.
- free monthly improvisation jams are organized by Outokumpu Dance School :)
- Acro Yoga jams organized on Sundays (usually 4:30-7pm) in Urheilutalo (Sports house), 2nd floor. Cost: 5€/jam for non-members of Korpisirkus or 3 €/jam if you pay an annual membership (10 €/year). Cash only.
- OBLIGATORY! ice swimming
- swimming pool & sauna
Virkistysuimala Vesikko (Uimarintie 1) and Rantakylän Uimahalli (Pataluodonkatu 2)
- river swimming at Utran uimaranta (beach) and it is right by the Utransaari (island)
and a number of other places alongside the river + in Koli marked as ‘suitable for swimming’ here.
created: February 2020///